Office - (937) 225-4216
Hours are Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
Attention C.C.W. Instructors and Applicants!! Check your certificates! In order for your C.C.W. training certificate to meet the requirements of the Ohio Revised Code, there is certain wording that needs to be either on the certificate somewhere or on a separate affidavit provided by the instructor. The Montgomery County Sheriff's Office WILL NOT accept your certificate if it does not have the following wording on it because the certificate DOES NOT meet the C.C.W. requirements:
"The instructor of this course attests that the course met the requirements described in Section 2923.125(G)(1) of the Ohio Revised Code and that the applicant passed the competency examination described in Section 2923.125(G)(2) of the Ohio Revised Code."
This does NOT apply to military personnel who provide the military weapons training record or DD214 in lieu of the training certificate.
The Montgomery County Sheriff's Office accepts completed Ohio Concealed Carry applications from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m., Monday through Friday, excluding legal holidays. No Appointment is Required. Completed applications must be submitted in person at the Montgomery County Sheriff's Office Headquarters, 2nd Floor, 345 West Second Street, Dayton, Ohio.
An applicant must be a resident of Montgomery County (or an adjoining county: Butler, Preble, Clark, Darke, Warren, Miami, or Greene). Applicants must be at least 21 years of age and not a fugitive from justice. Many criminal offenses will bar an applicant from obtaining a license. For further detailed information, visit the State of Ohio Attorney General's web site at www.ohioattorneygeneral.gov/
Applicants must at the time of a NEW or RENEWAL application:
- Submit a completed application form (downloadable from the Attorney General's web site www.ohioattorneygeneral.gov/) along with a color 2-inch by 2-inch passport type photo attached to the form. If you do not provide a photograph, we can provide this service for an additional $6.00. (If renewing, and your Original Permit was issued by Montgomery County, you will not be charged for the photograph since we already have one on file. If renewing and your Original Permit was issued through a different County, you must either provide a photograph or we can provide the service for the $6 fee). Expiration dates are on the permit card. Renewal applicants may renew their permit up to 90 days prior to their permit expiration date or anytime after the expiration date. Permits expire 5 years after the issue date. Applicants for renewal should plan accordingly and renew as soon as possible to prevent any gap in their permit validity.
- Submit a certificate of completion of a firearms safety courses offered by or under the auspices of the NRA or other certification as specified in ORC 2923.125.
- For NEW applicants, the certificate of completion must be dated within three years of the time the application is submitted.
- For Renewal applicants, a valid CCW license, expired CCW license, or any other previously issued CCW license that has not been revoked is prima-facie evidence that the licensee at one time had a competency certification. Licensee should provide the CCW License to the Sheriff's Office at the time of renewal as proof.
- For military personnel, in lieu of the above mentioned training certificate, applicants may submit a military firearms qualification form. These forms, commonly referred to as a 522 form (AF-522, DD-522, etc.) should include the type of weapon trained with as well as the date of the training. The training dates must be within the last 10 years. A DD-214 Form is also acceptable but must also be dated within the last 10 years and MUST indicate that the applicant has experience with handling handguns or firearms.
- Present a valid Ohio drivers license or Ohio ID card and the CCW permit, if renewing.
- New Applicants will pay a fee of $67 dollars by Cash, Check or Money Order. Renewals will pay $50 by Cash, Check, or Money Order. Persons who have been a resident of Ohio for less than 5 years must also pay an additional federal background check fee of ten-dollars ($10.00). For retired Law Enforcement Officers, you should bring your Retirement I.D. Card issued from your agency. The fee is waived for retired Law Enforcement.
- Submit to fingerprinting necessary to conduct a background check.
The Montgomery County Sheriff's Office will inform applicants by telephone when the application has been approved and the permit is ready to be picked up. Applicants will be informed in writing by mail if an application has been denied along with the reason for the denial. No information about the status of a pending application will be provided by telephone. Allow up to 45 business days after application submission to receive the permit.
Permit holders are required to notify the issuing Sheriff of any address changes that occur once a Permit is issued. Address change requests must be made in writing with a photocopy of your permit attached. Requests may be mailed to The Montgomery County Sheriff's Office at 345 W. Second St., Attn: CCW Dayton, OH 45422. It is OPTIONAL, not required, to get a permit card reprinted after an address change. If you desire a new permit after an address change, the fee is $15 and the request must be made in person at 345 W. Second St. in Downtown Dayton. Replacement Permits may also be issued for lost, stolen, or damaged permits for a $15 fee. Those requests must also be made in person at 345 W. Second St. It is a felony to carry a firearm into the Montgomery County Sheriff's Office or any Montgomery County building.
It is a felony to carry a firearm into the Montgomery County Sheriff's Office or any Montgomery County building.
FAILURE TO DISCLOSE A CRIMINAL RECORD WHEN APPLYING FOR A CCW PERMIT WILL BE TREATED AS FILING A FALSE LEGAL DOCUMENT AND COULD RESULT IN CRIMINAL PROSECUTION AND/OR THE DENIAL OF YOUR PERMIT! YOUR APPLICATION IS CONSIDERED A LEGAL DOCUMENT AND IT IS EXPECTED TO CONTAIN COMPLETE AND ACCURATE INFORMATION.
YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR KNOWING YOUR CRIMINAL HISTORY!
VIEW INFORMATION ON DISQUALIFYING CRITERIA